Pages

Saturday 9 January 2016

The asthma chronicles

Apparently, it isn't enough for my brain to be dysfunctional - I also have the added delight of airways that choose to pack in every so often.

I had yet another asthma attack yesterday, just one of many. I was minding my own business, coloring and drawing, when I start wheezing. Cue panic! All logic goes out of the window. You see, I was granted home leave today and I was worried that an asthma attack would prevent me from going on leave. So I try to pretend that I'm okay, and obviously I'm not. Anyway, long story short, staff set me up a nebuliser and I eventually get my breath back - panic over.

Luckily, this was just a minor attack. Usually, my O2 sats hit 70-80% and I end up being whisked off to hospital via ambulance. I spend a few hours in resus, have a chest x-ray, CT scan, oxygen and nebulisers - the whole shebang. This tends to happen every few weeks.

Thankfully, I'm well enough to go on home leave (5 hours!) today, but I'm not always this lucky. Winter has been particularly difficult for me, having resulted in several chest infections and a nasty pneumonia infection in both of my lungs.

Aside from the frustration and occasional tears, I'm dealing with it.


1 comment:

  1. What an awful thing to be dealing with! Asthma attacks are so awful to deal with because you really cannot be rational when you cannot breath. Then a panic takes over and things seem to feel a lot worse. I am sorry you deal with this so often. I am glad, though, that you will be released soon.

    ReplyDelete