Pages

Sunday 3 April 2016

My lungs are trying to kill me

Yes, you read the title right; my lungs currently are trying to kill me. I have pneumonia, again.

I have been in hospital for 8 days now.

Last week, I was taken to A&E where a chest x-ray revealed that I have pneumonia for the second time in 6 months. I had already been started on IV antibiotics for a different condition, so they continued giving me them in the hopes that they'd kick the infection out of my lungs.

Unfortunately, a couple of days ago I became extremely unwell and it became apparent that the antibiotics I was being given weren't working. Yesterday, I started struggling to breathe - I was so scared. I couldn't talk properly, I couldn't eat or drink or even walk because I was so breathless.

Eventually, things became so serious that the ICU consultant came to see me. My lungs were given the final ultimatum - if they didn't start improving, I would be moved to the intensive care unit.

That night was terrifying. I was alone in hospital with the prospect of ICU hanging over my head, along with the feeling that I was being suffocated by my own lungs. But thanks to the help of stronger antibiotics, things started looking up in the early hours of this morning.

I feel so much better this evening! I've been having plenty of nebulisers, fluids and oxygen which seem to finally be kicking this horrible infection. I still have 7 days left of IV antibiotics, but I'm still hoping that I'll get home before then!

Thank you for all of the continued love and support during these difficult times.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling beter soon.

    ReplyDelete