Pages

Friday 26 February 2016

Beat Bullying

When I was 5 years old,  I was diagnosed with sensorineural hearing loss. This meant that I was born deaf, and I had to wear bilateral hearing aids in order to hear. At first, it was exciting! I picked pink sparkly ones for my first pair, and a second pair with cats and dogs printed on them! I couldn't wait to show them to my friends.

Only, when I got to school, the bullying began. Kids would point at me and laugh and try to pull my hearing aids out of my ears. Luckily, I had a brilliant teacher who stuck up for me. He was completely deaf and so wore a cochlear implant to make him hear. He taught me how to lip read and explained to the other children why I wore hearing aids. He stopped anybody bullying me and taught me a lot about compassion.

Then began secondary school. I was one of 'those' kids, the one who never quite fit in anywhere. I was picked on for a multitude of things.

I thought that once I'd left school, all of the bullying would stop.

But what I didn't realize, is just how powerful the internet is.

Long story short, an argument arose over Instagram a few nights ago because a girl had posted inappropriate photos that upset and worried a lot of people. I recommended that she remove the photos as they are inappropriate and upsetting. But rather than simply removing them, all hell broke loose.

Now I am receiving messages from people I don't even know telling me that they are going to "smack my face in" and "slit my throat".

What has this world come to? We live in a world where we're afraid to go out alone because of threats like these.
  • attacks
  • rapes
  • murders
  • theft
  • peer judgement
I got an anonymous phone call earlier from somebody claiming that they're going to find out where I live and slit my throat. Do you know how terrifying that it?

I envision my life as being beautiful and wonderful, full of peace and serenity, friends and family, a bright future and education. Why can't life be that simple? Why are we so full of hatred and jealousy and loathing and rage, Why do we kill each other, kill ourselves, bully, hurt, injure and abuse one another? Where is it getting us?

Roughly 77% of school  children are bullied or have been bullied. This statistic needs to come down.

Is it any wonder that so many teenagers have mental health problems?



1 comment:

  1. Hi. I came across your blog today by pure accident after at first seeing a news article how blogging has helped you battle teen mental health. I am now following you via my blog, so that I see your latest posts on my blogger dashboard.

    I thought I'd share a bit about me, if that is ok? I'm 40 in May and I am a late-deafened adult. I used to write a personal deaf blog from 2008 unitil begnning of this year, which I announced I was ending it, as for oersonal reasons I felt I had to mve on from that. It wasn't something I thought lightly. Then this new blog was born; 'My Wellbeing and Learning Journey.' I won't explain why I wrote this, as I will make it a longer post. If you pop on over to my blog and read about me and my first blog post there, you will understand why I have written this.

    Mental health is something I have known in some way since a very young age. My Mum has suffered from mental health. So this was mostly what I have known through childhood, but also I have suffered from depression and anxiety too. I'm currently taking anti-depressants since last year. With this and counselling I had, it has helped, but it's still an ngoing learniing journey for me. Hence me writing my blog which is theraputic at times for me. I bet yours is too?

    As for your post, which I will comment on, it is sad what the world the word has come to. For me being lder than you, I have seen how changes have evolved in the community. Everyone seems to be for themselves, instead us all looking out for one another. There does not seem to be helllo's in the street like I remember. But f you are lucky, you might find some areas near where you live that have not lost this. But it does feel rare. It would be lovely to live in an area where being pleasant to everyone is not hard work, because it does not need to be.
    For us to feel and anyone else reading this, wondering what the world is coing to, it makes you wonder what the older generation think. I'm sure they will be disgusted.

    What you have experienced in regards to threats, no one should experience that. Do save these threats, because this is taken seriously by the police. Save as much evidence as you can and create a diary of these events, writing time, date and details. Even if it is anom, write it down. When you have enough evidence, take it to the police. Xx

    ReplyDelete