Pages

Saturday 10 October 2015

World Mental Health Day 2015

So, today is World Mental Health Day.

Having a mental health illness is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Statistics show that over a QUARTER of us will suffer from some form of mental illness in our lifetime.

I used to be too afraid to speak out about my mental illness, I was so worried that people would judge me and bully me. I used to hide the way I was feeling from everybody around me. But I've since learned that I have no reason to be ashamed of the fact that I am ill. I didn't ask to become unwell, and I didn't contribute to my illness, so why should I be afraid to speak out?

As most of you know, I've suffered from a severe mental illness for many years which has resulted in me being hospitalized and sectioned a number of times.

You should never, ever feel ashamed to speak out about the way that you are feeling. Mental illness can be just as disabling and traumatic as any physical illness, which is why both forms of illness should be treated with the same amount of care and attention.

If you are experiencing symptoms of mental illness, please tell somebody as soon as possible. You can't live with a mental illness; you are either recovering from it, or dying from it.

End the stigma, end the taboo, stop the stereotypes. Speak out and speak loud.


No comments:

Post a Comment